The small town of Jaffrey is located close to Mt Monadnock and the reservation, making it an important town in our state! Travelers from all over NH and the New England states come here to hike, enjoying the gorgeous mountain and its exceptional fall-time views. Also home to some unique businesses that cater to tourists and Granite Staters, Kimball Farms, and Terrapin Glassblowing are some of the many local companies that help the economy thrive.
Surrounded by Keen, Peterborough, and Rindge, there’s a tight nit group of communities that enjoys their quiet pace of life that’s focused on outdoor activities — but there is still the lingering worry over arsenic, PFAS, and other contaminants, as many homes rely on well water.
Jaffrey residents still need better water quality.
About 40% of NH homes deal with these issues with water quality. Water supplies throughout the state in surrounding towns have varying levels of PFAS and additional contaminants. If you have well water in Jaffrey, you may also be concerned about chemical runoff, bacteria, arsenic, and other pollutants, on top of the PFAS issue.
City water vs. well water in Jaffrey.
While the city water in Jaffrey meets state and federal water standards, there was a recent boil alert as E. coli got into the system. And unfortunately, in public water situations like this, the contaminants are met with chlorine to clear the contamination levels — while it’s an allowed approach, high levels of chlorine can be detrimental to human health.
Whether you call Jaffrey home or are traveling through, here are some key things you need to know about the water quality and some ideas on how you can address this lingering issue.
Contaminants potentially in Jaffrey, NH water.
With a myriad of potential issues to consider, homeowners and business people alike must sample their water to find the right solutions for safe water for them and their neighbors and family members or customers. Currently, the most common and potential water concerns throughout the state include the following —
- Pesticides, Nitrates, and Chloride (salt from the roads and septic systems), which leads to health and fertility/growth issues.
- Fluoride, which causes discolored teeth, bones, and other health issues.
- Lead from natural sources or old pipes, which can be linked to developmental issues in children.
- Bacterial contamination, which, if E.coli, can cause severe medical problems.
- Arsenic, which is a naturally occurring toxic element in NH bedrock.
- Radon, which is an odorless and colorless gas that is released from bedrock into homes and water supplies.
- Pharmaceuticals which can enter the water when individuals don’t dispose of them properly.
- Heavy metals which are present in the water due to natural deposits or human activity.
- PFAS/PFOA which is caused by varying NH manufacturing spills and using PFAS-laden products.
As a review, Jaffrey’s city water quality does falls within permitted limits; well water can have a variety of contamination that has to be addressed with water filtration systems. And whether you are on city water or well water, some permitted levels of contaminants are not advisable, especially for young children.
The EWG report for Jaffrey.
According to the Environmental Working Group (EWG), many permitted levels are not suitable for human health. Let’s take a look at what the EWG advises and what they report about Jaffrey water.
The EWG provides resources on environmental and personal health. Organized by zip code, the water database rates your water on various factors. These contaminants include —
- Bromodichloromethane (4.9x over recommendations)
- Total trihalomethanes (TTHMs) (16x over recommendations)
- Dibromochloromethane (2.4x over recommendations)
- Haloacetic acids (HAA5) (3.5x over recommendations)
- Manganese (2.2x over recommendations)
You don’t have to worry about your Jaffrey water supply anymore. Here is a little about the Jaffery-specific potential contaminants.
Created when chlorine and other disinfectants treat the water, these contaminants are byproducts that act as a carcinogen and can particularly impact fetuses during pregnancy. This community had 56x the suggested amount.
Bladder and colon cancers are tied to these THMs, and exposure to higher amounts of them may also cause reproductive problems and congenital disabilities.
Haloacetic Acids (HAA5 and HAA9)
These elements can be carcinogenic and can cause bladder cancer, colorectal cancer, and adverse developmental and reproductive issues.
PFOS and PFOA were not on the list of contaminants at the time of this study, but they can infiltrate water supplies from surrounding communities at any time due to how PFAS chemicals spread. The only way to ensure your water is safe is to have it tested regularly, review city water test results, or install a whole-home filtration system that provides consistently pure water.
NH Tap’s recommendations for clean water in Jaffrey.
All New Hampshire residents, whether they use well or city-supplied tap water in their homes, should be aware of the issues surrounding local water standards and quality reports.
Here are some things to remember about water filtration —
- Under the sink or refrigerator filtration units do not eliminate most impurities.
- City water depends on chemicals to cleanse the water, leaving byproducts behind.
- While many think that bottled water is a safer alternative than tap water, many studies have shown that bottled water is no cleaner than tap water when it comes to specific contaminants and added plastic use.
Schedule a water test to find out if you have contaminants in your water.
To make sure that you have safe drinking water, you need to understand the water quality issues in your town and, more immediately, in your home. NH Tap can provide a range of tests to check the exact levels of contamination, so you can find out which filtration solution would be best for your home.
Get Jaffrey’s best public or well water filtration.
Because we tailor our water filtration units for New Hampshire water, we provide the particular filtration media to remove contaminants specific to your Jaffrey public water or private well water.
NH Tap developed whole-home filtration systems that eliminate 99.9% of common water contaminants, including PFAS. Our long-lasting single-tank units are compact and installed on-site to protect your family from heavy metals, chlorine, industrial chemicals, and more, giving you the purest water for your home or business. The NH Tap team is dedicated to serving our communities by helping people learn about their water needs and providing a 5-star experience to everyone who has us conduct a water test or install one of our systems.
We offer —
- installation on all of our filtration systems
- 5-year warranty (including parts and labor)
- A lifetime of support
NH Tap can help you and your family gain peace of mind and enjoy delicious, pure water for years to come, whether you have well water or use city water. Our water filtration systems remove harmful contaminants from your water, leaving you with a healthy and refreshing drink. You can enjoy only the best water from every faucet and appliance in your home with NH Tap. Our systems are easy to install and maintain, so you can have peace of mind knowing that your family is always drinking clean water.